Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

Wow! I must be getting old.
Yesterday I had another reality check that my kids are growing up. First, there was not one single kid's toy on the Christmas list this year. Now, they didn't want to hang with us on New Year's Eve. Why not? I'm still cool! I'm young... ok, I'm not twenty, but I'm not like... really old. I mean, I still even used the word "like" in that last sentence!

So today starts out with the plan that two of my boys are going to a Youth group High School party. Ben, my baby... I don't care if he is thirteen, he'll be bringing grandkids over at 35 and still be my baby!
He decided he wanted to spend the night with a friend. They didn't want to be with us?!? Alright, I finally got over it and was looking forward to going to a friend's house to hang out, play some games, watch a movie, etc.
Matthew leaves to drop off the boys and suddenly a change of plans is in the works. It seems their party was canceled. Bummer for them... believe it or not, now bummer for us. As upset as I was that this would be the first year they would not be with us, I found that I was actually disappointed our date was off.
I finally had the reality check that life goes on. Obviously not for us yet, as our children sat in the living room watching the NY ball drop, but it will soon.

All in all it ended with Ben (our youngest) at his friend's house; Brandon and Alex at our home with two of their very good friends playing video games and being goofy (like all teenage boys); Matthew playing on his computer upstairs and I playing on mine in the kitchen. Still not how I envisioned it, but we were "together"... minus one.

Disclaimer:
We did all end up in the living room at midnight to see the ball re-drop from the east coast. Matthew and I even gave our yearly midnight kiss to the dismay and yucks of all the children present.

I realize that we did not spend every moment of this night in the same room with the boys like we used to. Since they had friends over, we gave them free reign in most of the house, including the living room. As much as I wish I could; I have to say that I cannot pull up the same excitment and enthusiasm they have about the latest edition of Star Wars Battlefront. Therefore, they can have the TV.

What did I learn?Even though my kids are growing up, I will survive and yes, maybe even thrive. I love my children so much, but they are also becoming cool adults. I've learned that while they may be on the fast track to adulthood, they are still not afraid to hug me in front of their friends and ask my opinion from time to time.

I've also learned that coolness is over rated. At this point though, I'd like to note that I used the words "bummer" and "hang out" in the second paragraph.

Happy New Year... you!

In His care, Tammy

No comments: