Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Forensics of Daily Chores...

Over the years my kids have done the whole, "I took out the trash last time" or "It's not my turn to empty the dishwasher" bit.
As any mom can tell you, there's a fine line of when we say, "I really don't care who did it last, I'm telling you to do it now" and wanting to also be fair about it all.

There have been times when we would trace what was thrown out in the last bag and who walked out the door with it, because they "remember" having trouble with the door handle and the bag at the same time (or something like that) - which, of course, is total proof and they would be acquitted by any judge and jury in the land.

In the year 2008, we have come to a whole new level of "proof".

I was flipping through my camera and came across a few pictures of the house. First, I was totally confused why someone would take purposeful snapshots of our home in disarray, so I asked around.

Child A wanted to prove to child C he took out the trash...



Child A wanted to prove to child C he cleaned the counters...



Last, but not least, child A would now like to prove to child C he emptied the dishwasher...



To a mother's eye this just proves that the chores need to be done as there is no "after" picture, but whatever.

To some this is just ridiculous, to others (clearly young siblings) it may be ingenious. The reality is that even though child A wants to go into Engineering, I'm really wondering if he should be thinking about a career as an attorney.



--

2 comments:

Rich said...

According to the philosopher, Marge Simpson, "The courts may not be working any more, but as long as everyone is videotaping everyone else, justice will be done."

RCummins said...

ROFL! I guess that's one benefit of having only one...I'll always know who it was (or T.J. will be taking pictures...)