Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Jailhouse Rock

I don't usually blog on news, but this just really stood out to me today.

So sad to see the newest trend for teen idols. I pulled up the news this morning and on the front -dead center- was Lindsey Lohan and her most recent DUI.
After scanning the latest headlines, I went to take a bath and Matthew had the TV on in the other room. Listening over the filling tub, they were using this piece of news as the big headline of the day. Seriously, during the twenty minutes I was soaking, they repeated it every two to three and then did spotlights on her and the situation with analysts. As they talked they were showing the same pictures of her over and over again. How could I see them you may ask (as I was in the tub)? Because they described the picture... every time.

"Here is a picture of Lohan in happier times with a surfboard and ankle bracelet..."

I don't know about you, but I didn't realize that "happier times" and "ankle bracelet" went together.

Honestly, I feel for these misguided teen idols who seem to escape through a partying atmosphere. I just wonder (as I'm sure many people do) what this does to the girls who look up to them.

Is it better for them to see these celebs and then they just drop out of view (as so many young actors have done before) - OR - to see what all the paryting leads them too (jail, rehab, etc.)?

Either way, it's a sad reality in the world we live in and leaves me to wonder what's next, but also thanking God that He is a constant in such a changing damaging world.

1 comment:

RCummins said...

I have the same reaction to the tragedy that is much of the youth scene today. Although youth celebs and children of celebs are wanting little, they have the hardest time escaping the peer pressure of the expectation of a certain lifestyle. Like a rich man through the eye of a needle.

Then there's you & I, who as parents have to contend with how to raise Christ-following, positively self-imaged children when what is in mass media is completely contrary to these principles.

Thank God for God!