Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sum-sum-summertime...

OK then... It's July and I am soooo ready for a break from school.
This is the difficult part of being a homeschooler (for me anyway). I'm not a very disciplined person - I know, complete shocker, right? But I digress, some parents can stay right on track and are very regimented. They start on a particular day (picked out the year before, no doubt) and finish their school year on a certain day (again, previously planned). My world does not work like that.
Don't get me wrong, we work hard, but not super systematically.
One of the wonderful blessings of homeschooling is that you know your child and what they need. One of the most difficult parts of homeschooling is that you know your child and what they need, ergo -and here's the catch- it's up to you to provide it... all! Even when that means working throughout the summer, when you're completely, totally burnt out, ready for a break and mamaneedsavacation syndrome has firmly set in.

It's times like this that I totally need God to remind me that I really love what I do with the boys (errr... young men). I think I'm also a little overwhelmed at the thought of one graduating next month - yes, that's August. Remember, not disciplined, systematic, blah, blah, blah...

This is where the rubber meets the road. Where I have to trust in God to fix whatever I may have screwed up over the years. According to most polls that are out there today my kids will be in therapy for something... at least I gave them something to talk about.
All right, it hasn't been that bad. The reality is that I'm not naive enough to think I did it perfectly. The only thing I can be sure of is that we followed His calling to educate our kids at home.

Anytime I've read blogs about homeschoolers graduating there's lots of "pomp and circumstance", celebrating and the like.
As with so many things, all I can do is sit and think of all the ways I "could/should" have done things differently.

Take care,
Tammy

No comments: