Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Beef o' the week

Where we live there is a Discount Cinema about 15 minutes away. On Mondays it's only fifty cents to see a movie (just in case you're wondering, the movies are not in black and white). Pretty sweet, huh? I mean, where else can you take a family of 5 for $2.50? Of course, this doesn't include snackage, but we won't even go there.

Anywho, I was standing in line to see I am Legend watching a mom buy tickets as she half bent over to hold her two year olds hand. He was just toooo cute. I looked at the board and guessed that they must be going to see The Veggie Tale movie, The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. How sweet.

After we get our tickets and the guys are fully loaded with the proper nutritional course for any good movie, we head in to find our seats. The previews had already started so it was dark, but we managed to find seats together.

About twenty minutes into the movie, I heard a child. A CHILD! You have got to be kidding me?!? If you haven't seen I am Legend, let me share with you why this is shocking as I do understand I had my three children with me also.

First, this is not a "horror" movie. If you know me, you know I don't do horror movies. It's just not entertaining to watch that sort of stuff for two hours on a big screen. But this is... an intense movie. Will Smith is alone in New York City. Because of a vaccine that was supposed to cure cancer, but instead ended up making people into... scary night things. He is immune and working towards a cure. Regardless, you can imagine some of the panic that a child would feel in a movie like this. If not, then go watch the trailer, then you'll understand. As for my kids, they are 15, 18, and 19. Though I can tell you there was much debate over whether our 15 year old could/should see it.

Back to the preschooler in the theater. I look over to confirm my fear and see that it is the same child that I thought was going to be watching vegetables take on the high seas.

I tried to give them a little credit and thought that maybe, some how, they had no idea how intense this movie would be and would probably take him out when it gets rough. My hopes were quickly dashed when I glanced back only to see that at one point the mom had pulled her head down in her jacket (like a turtle) because she was so afraid she couldn't look - as her little one sat next to her. WHAT? You have got to be kidding me! That's when I had exclaimed out loud (without realizing it), "That's crazy!" Even though it was dark, I know my son's face was turning fifteen different shades of red. So I piped down a bit, as there was no way I could sheild this little guy from what he was seeing and/or hearing.

Alright, I need to go and do something so I'll stop thinking about this, as I can feel my temperature rising and my heart hurting for this little guy.




--

1 comment:

Tim Waters said...

LOL....go check out my latest blog entry :)

I took my two youngest yesterday to go see "Pirates" at the Round Rock Discount Theater yesterday. We must have just missed each other :)