Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Mother's Day to Remember...

Yesterday was my last event to lead at church before the big move and I have to say that of everything I've been blessed to be a part of, this was the most personal.
It was a day for Motherless Daughters to come together, share, heal, grow and remember their mothers. Whether they have lost their mothers physically or emotionally, it was a time to remember them.
I have to tell you that I met so many amazing women and as I said that day, the common thread of a missing mother brings about a bond I can't explain. It really is true. It's not something you usually talk about in your every day conversation, but just knowing there are ladies out there who are experiencing the same thing is very comforting and, in many ways, solidifies a sisterhood of sorts.


When I started working on this, I had no idea of the impact that it would have on me. My mother died from lung cancer on August 19, 2004. We had a rocky road type relationship, but the last six months of her life (especially the last three) were amazing. I stayed in Cincinnati with her and my sister as she wanted to die at home.
The whole experience brought all three of us closer than I ever thought we could be.

For "A Mother's Day to Remember..." we began by sharing our stories with each other and then ended the day by planting a flower for our moms. We also filled out a card and placed it above the flower. (NOTE: We did this on Saturday. I can't even begin to tell you how many prayers my son and I prayed asking God to protect this little memorial overnight - and He did.)
I was so impacted by what these ladies wrote, that I asked if I could share some of them on here.
There are actually a few more I would really like to share, but have not had a chance to get permission from the women who made them. If I do, I'll add them later.


--







































--
These are the flowers made for my mom (from my sister and myself).







--

The next few pictures were taken on Sunday between services...








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is very sweet and lifts my heart in many ways. I am saddened by your losses, but moved by your faith and love.

As we know...
Love will walk many miles
Barefoot on the glass,
But in the end it is rewarded
With the gift that ever lasts.

To him said...

Tammy, I love what you did for the women of Gateway. What a blessing this was for sooo many women. How will we ever fill the hole without you? Thank you, sister, for your love and dedication to God's Kingdom! This looks amazing!!

Hugs,
KW

Lisa said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Tammy. I wish I could have been there to add a tribute to my mom... I'll have to show you what I did that day instead. =)

Tim Waters said...

Very cool Tammy. Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed reading all of the signs.